Thursday, July 17, 2014

DIY Whiteboard Makeover

This was such a quick and easy DIY craft that anyone can do it!! Years ago I purchased simple magnetic dry erase boards from Walmart similar to the one in the photo below or like THIS. Since moving into our new home, they just sat in my office not being used.
 I'm not even sure where the idea came from but I knew I needed a way to display all the cute announcements, cards, etc that we get from friends and family. And since the dry erase boards were magnetic, I thought about just covering them with some cute fabric and using magnets to hold the cards. 
 I bought some cute fabric and first tested the material and magnets to make sure my magnets were strong enough. I simply laid out the fabric on the board and made sure my magnets held up a card or two. Once it worked, I laid out the fabric and my boards. Since I wanted them side by side on my wall, I wanted my fabric to match up. I made a mark on the wrong side of the fabric of where the top of the boards would lay on the fabric. Then while the boards was still laying on top of the fabric, I simply cut the fabric out leaving a inch (or more) border to wrap the fabric to the backside. Then I got out one of my favorite products EVER! My 3M Super77 Spray Adhesive that I've had for 8 years and it's still going strong! Love this stuff. I took my fabric to the garage and sprayed one coat of spray adhesive to the entire backside of the fabric. 
 Then I carefully laid my dry erase board on top of the fabric using my marks as guides. I started laying it on the fabric at the top then flipped it over so I could straighten it out and get any bumps out. Once the front was nice and smooth, I made sure the fabric wrapped around the side and to the back. I pretty much folded the fabric in the back like I was wrapping a gift. 
I let it dry overnight (although I don't think that was needed) I only did it because this was a late night project, and I wasn't going to pound nails into my walls late a night and wake up my kids! The glue dries pretty fast. Once it's dry you can hang it up and enjoy your super easy DIY boards!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...