Tuesday, August 12, 2014

DIY Pottery Barn Style Headboard and Bedskirt

I had noticed this gorgeous bed at Pottery Barn for a while. I loved everything about it. I love the material. I love the nailhead trim. I love the shape. Everything...except the price tag! Then when I saw this blog post on a tutorial on how to make a headboard from a drop cloth, I knew I could do it.
Here's my version (Don't laugh at my lack of photography skills. I promise to work on it!!)
Tenth Ave South has a wonderful step-by-step tutorial on the headboard! It was the same one I followed when making ours. I altered the size to fit our bed but that was the only change I made. I used the drop cloth she recommended and the nailheads she has a link to. It turned out perfect! My father-in-law had extra wood for us to use so I ended up only paying for the foam, batting, drop cloth and nailheads which totaled roughly $100. Not bad for a headboard that looks identical to the Pottery Barn version that retails for $800! Plus there was enough material left over to make a bedskirt!! 
Our bed it very tall...which I LOVE. My husband and I are tall so it works perfectly for us. We have drawers under our bed which it why it is so tall. I love the extra storage that provides but it also means I have to custom make a bedskirt because no one sells one to fit our bed. I've made one before so I kind of had an idea of what I was doing. I used a fitted sheet and put it on the boxspring. I then measured the top of the boxspring to the ground and added roughly 3 inches and then measured the width and made sure to measure around the curve of the corner of the bed. I then used the extra material from the drop cloth and cut 3 rectangles the sizes I had measured. I finish off the raw edges of the material on my sewing machine but left the top edge raw. I could have finished it off but I knew it would be under the bed and the only person who sees that is me. :) I then pinned each of the 3 rectangles on the fitted sheet while it was on the boxspring. This makes it easy to see where the bedskirt hits the ground and make sure it is straight. I added a lot of pins to keep it in place. I then took the fitted sheet off the boxspring and sewed the drop cloth to the fitted sheet. 

This is a tad tricky as it is so large. I just bunched up the bedskirt part to fit through my sewing machine and made sure to grab the fitted sheet and pull it to the side so it didn't accidentally get sewn under the bedskirt.
 Then I put it on my bed and added the mattress and linens. 
I love the way it looks. I love how it hides the drawers under our bed. I love how it matches the headboard. And of course, I love the price!!
Now my next project is to make of those nightstands! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...